Private tour with local guide for making the authentic pesto sauce and visiting the 5 Terre villages.
The essence of the Cinque Terre lies in the pesto sauce as the symbol of self-subsistence living. For this reason, we offer three different options for making this fun and involving experience and learn more about the local traditions and history.
The authentic ingredients of the Pesto Sauce (pesto come from pestare=pounding) are: basil, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, and dry cheese (pecorino-parmigiano).
1) Shared outdoor pesto making experience in Manarola. After have made the pesto, a snack lunch with wine follows.
2) Learn the secrets of the pesto preparation, in an authentic private tower-house of Riomaggiore, then make some homemade pasta and a sweet tiramisù. This will be you tasty lunch with some white 5 Terre wine.
3) Structured cooking class set up in a traditional osteria overlooking the sea in Monterosso. Here, beside the traditional pesto you will prepare stuffed vegetables, mussels, sea bass, pasta, gnocchi and a dessert. A great tasty Ligurian meal!
This is a sample itinerary that involves one kind of pesto making. Naturally can be adapted to another cooking experience or to yur needs.
- Private walking tour of Manarola, Riomaggiore, Vernazza with pesto making class.
- Get into a private house, and learn how to make the homemade pesto sauce and the Ligurian traditional pasta.
- Enjoy a light lunch with your pasta al pesto, a tasty tiramisu and 5 Terre wine.
- English speaking local guide.
- Stunning views walking the high part of the villages.
- Move by train for moving faster between the villages.
Meet your private tour guide in La Spezia (or in another fixed place) and take the train to Riomaggiore, one of the most charming villages of the five. Upon arrival, take the high path that crowns the village and then walk all the way down the main street as far as the marina. Some free time follows.
Afterward, the pesto class starts. Get into Luca’s house and learn about the classic ingredients needed for making the traditional pesto sauce: basil, pine nuts, olive oil, garlic, cheese, marble mortar, pestle, and your muscles! Know more about the history of pesto and during the making some wine will be served to refresh yourselves. Then make some Ligurian pasta, followed by the making of the famous tiramisu dessert.
After the class, you will eat all the food that you have prepared.
In the early afternoon, take the train to Manarola, one of the most charming villages of the five. Upon arrival, take a walk all the way up to St. Lawrence church to enjoy the view from up there and maybe stroll in the vineyards for learning more about the traditional industry of the 5 Terre: the wine making!!!
Another train to reach Vernazza, here explore its shady intimate alleys and if you like to climb some flight of steps to reach a nice view point overlooking the harbor. At the end, try the famous Cinque Terre sweet wine: The Sciacchetrà.
Price per person € 295,00 calculated on a base of 4 participants.
If your party is smaller or bigger, we will send you a customized quotation.
- Minimum #1 maximum #6 participants. If you have a bigger party, we will arrange for you a bespoke program.
- Cinque Terre train day pass
- English-speaking tourist guide.
- Pesto and pasta making class.
- Light lunch (pasta al pesto, tiramisu, water, wine).
- Tasting of Cinque Terre sweet wine.
- Boat ride
- Other extras not listed above
- Tips (optional)
- If you want to experience the most complete cooking class, please email us.
- Meeting point: La Spezia train station. Other pick up place on request.
- Duration: 7 hours
- Manarola, Riomaggiore, Vernazza will be visited. If there is enough time, another village can be included.
- Activity Level: moderate. The walking tours involve some up/downhill walking, climb 3-4 flights of stairs in necessary, hop on and off trains.
- Unfortunately, this tour version is not suitable for people with a wheelchair or reduced mobility. In this case, let us know your needs, we will design a lighter version of the tour.
- Advised clothing: comfortable shoes and clothes, sunglasses, hat/cap, sunscreen