Marble private tours for individuals and small groups in Carrara.
Visit the unbelievable marble quarries, the sculptor’s workshops, Carrara old town entirely made of its marble and don’t miss savoring the local foods and wines.
Our private Carrara marble quarries tours are something unmissable and on request only.
This white stone is the marble celebrated by the ancient Romans, and by Michelangelo and by the greatest sculptors and designers. Admire one of the unique landscapes in the world and learn about the ancient and modern techniques used for 2000 years in the extraction and transport of marble.
- The tour is private and on request.
- Local English-speaking guides and drivers.
- Duration of the tour: half day approx 3 hrs—full day approx 7 hrs.
- Visit the open cast marble quarries by stopping in safe places to see the quarries in full activity (in weekdays).
- Visit the underground quarry located in the very hearth of the mountains (Apr – Oct).
- Learn about the geology and the history of marble extraction and transportation by visiting the quarry museum.
- Visit a workshop of sculpture and watch the marble artisans at work, or yourself sculpting in the “Marble sculpting Experience”.
- Visit Carrara’s historical center, the town built of marble!
- Free time for a possible visit to the marble souvenir shops.
- Savor the local land or seafood specialties and wines.
- We organize car transfers from/to your accommodation.
How to organize a half or full day tour in Carrara? For any question, please email us.
Remember that the private Carrara marble tour for individuals doesn’t regard the quarries only. We always love to include even something concerning the local foods, or the marble workshops, because they bring to life Carrara, its people and the world of marble.
Sample Itinerary, feel free to customize it as you like.
The half day (3 hrs itinerary) starts by meeting with the tour guide in Carrara and depart to for the marble quarries; stop at scenic places for taking unforgettable pictures and learn about the geological origin of the marble. Visit of the open air quarries, by stopping in safe spots, and learn more about the modern methods of marble excavation.
Visit the quarry museum, very interesting exhibition of tools and equipments used in the past for the excavation and transportation of marble. Free time for eventual use of the bathrooms and visit the souvenir shops follows.
Before lunch (in weekdays only) don’t miss the visit of a sculpture workshop. Watching the marble artisans at work will tell you more about the making of marble statues.
End up in Colonnata for a snack lunch.
If you are eager to know more and stay for the whole day, or just wish to customize the tour, here below you find interesting proposals:
1) Keep visiting the marble quarries by entering the amazing underground marble quarry. It is a “cathedral of marble in the hearth of the mountains, really impressive!
2) Carrara has been included by UNESCO in the list of creative cities for marble craftsmanship. Seeing the sculptors at work helps to understand the tools and techniques used for the realization of the great masterpieces in marble, and the sculptors will explain the secrets and the different methods of sculpture. Want to try yourself sculpting marble? Want to be Michelangelo for 3 hours? Join our sculpting classes!!!
4) For those more interested in history, Carrara is the ideal choice. A visit to the historic center will take you through the medieval Carrara that culminates with its 11th-14th-century marble Cathedral; to then pass through Piazza Alberica, the pulsating heart of the Renaissance Carrara; to finish visiting the nineteenth-century Carrara, wanted beautiful and elegant by the great marble families of that time.