Minivan cruise shore excursion from Livorno to Carrara marble quarries and Pisa.Explore the unbelievable marble mountains in Carrara, admire unique scenarios traveling up to 1000 metres altitude.
Learn more about the excavation and transportation of marble since the Roman age until now, visit outsuide and underground marble quarries, experience local flavors and finish the day by “holding up” the leaning tower of Pisa.
- Tour of the marble quarries with private driver***
- Learn more about 2000 years of excavation and transportation of marble
- Visit outdoor and underground quarries
- Light lunch in Colonnata, old quarrymen village
- Visit Pisa with leaning tower
Meet your driver at the cruise facility in Livorno and depart to Carrara, the world’s largest marble bedding.
Here marble has been extracted throughout 2000 years and has been used for building and decorating churches, palaces and cities in Italy and around the world. Michelangelo, and many other sculptors and architects loved and still love to use this white and shiny material for their works of art.
The itinerary includes the journey through the marble valleys, reaching almost 1000 meters altitude where enjoy one of the most unique scenarios.
Afterwards visit a marble quarry (external) then move into an underground marble mine. Simply amazing! During the trip learn more about the methods used throughout 2000 years for the excavation and transportation of marble.
Colonnata, the oldest quarry-men’s village, is the place where a light lunch will be served. This popular for its local delicacy ”Lardo” of Colonnata (cured pig’s back-fat in marble tubs).
In the afternoon, on the way to Livorno, photo-stop in Pisa to admire the leaning tower (partly made of Carrara marble).
Price per person € 175,00 calculated on a base of 5 participants.
If your party is smaller or bigger, we will send you a customized quotation.
- Private tour
- Minimum #1 maximum #15 participants. If you have a bigger party a coach tour will be arranged.
- Transportation: minivan with English speaking driver
- Explanation of both ancient and modern methods of excavation and transportation of marble.
- Entrance ticket to the underground quarry.
- Light lunch in Colonnata: typical cold cuts, cheeses, pickled vegetables, vegetable pies, dessert, water, wine.
- Gelato in Pisa
- Local tour guide.
- Other extras not listed above
- Meeting point Livorno cruise facility or nearby the ship. The driver will be waiting holding a sign with your name.
- Duration: 9 hours
- Activity Level: light
- Suitable also for people with reduced mobility.
- Advised clothing: comfortable shoes and clothes, sunglasses, hat/cap, sunscreen
Need more customization?
Send us your requests!
Are you a larger group?
Wish to modify the itinerary?
Wish to add or cut some stages?
Need car/coach transfers?
Wish to have more rest days?