Minivan private shore excursion from La Spezia and Portovenere with English speaking driver to Carrara marble mines.
One day discovering the world of Carrara marble. Famous worldwide, this white and shiny stone was used by Michelangelo and by the most important sculptors and architects for making their works.
The itinerary is an unbelievable trip throughout 2000 years of art, history, sweat and toil during which you will explore the marble quarries (outside and underground), will learn more about the history of excavation and transportation of marble and (naturally) savor the local specialties.
After lunch visit Lerici, a quaint coastal town located by the Gulf Of Poets, enjoy your gelato by strolling along the walkway by the sea.
- Tour of the marble quarries with private driver***
- Learn more about 2000 years of excavation and transportation of marble
- Visit outdoor and underground quarries
- Light lunch in Colonnata, old quarrymen village
- Gelato in Lerici, lovely town in the Gulf of Poets near La Spezia
Meet your driver at the cruise facility in La Spezia/Portovenere and depart to the amazing Carrara marble quarries.
This is the place where throughout 2000 years it has been excavated this white and shiny stone which has been used for building and decorating churches, palaces and cities in Italy and around the world. Donatello, Michelangelo, Bernini and many other sculptors and architects loved and still love to use this unique material for their works of art.
Travel through the majestic marble valleys, stop at panoramic lookouts and then arrive up to 1000 meters altitude, up there enjoy the breathtaking views of Carrara marble mountains.
On the way see what’s going on in an active marble quarry (outside) then move into an underground marble mine. Simply unique! During the trip learn more about the tools, machines, and methods used throughout 2000 years for the excavation and transportation of marble.
Stop for lunch in Colonnata, the oldest quarry-men’s village popular for its local delicacy ”Lardo” of Colonnata (cured pig’s back-fat).
In the afternoon, on the way to La Spezia, enjoy a stroll along the walkway by the sea in Lerici, charming coastal town overlooked by its castle. A good gelato will complete the day.
Price per person € 160,00 calculated on a base of 5 participants.
If your party is smaller or bigger, we will send you a customized quotation.
- Private tour
- Minimum #1 maximum #15 participants. If you have a bigger party a coach tour will be arranged.
- Transportation: minivan with English speaking driver
- Explanation of both ancient and modern methods of excavation and transportation of marble.
- Entrance ticket to the underground quarry.
- Light lunch in Colonnata: typical cold cuts, cheeses, pickled vegetables, vegetable pies, dessert, water, wine.
- Gelato in Lerici
- Meeting point La Spezia cruise terminal. Make sure to catch the shuttle bus (free) from the ship in order to reach the meeting point. The driver will be waiting holding a sign with your name.
- Duration: 8 hours
- Activity Level: light
- Suitable also for people with reduced mobility.
- Advised clothing: comfortable shoes and clothes, sunglasses, hat/cap, sunscreen
- Local tour guide.
- Other extras not listed above
Need more customization?
Send us your requests!
Are you a larger group?
Wish to modify the itinerary?
Wish to add or cut some stages?
Need car/coach transfers?
Wish to have more rest days?