3 hours private excursion by coach, by van or 4×4 to the Carrara marble quarries.
All tours are on demand.
Admire one of the unique landscapes in the world and learn about the ancient and modern techniques used for 2000 years in the extraction and transport of marble.
- The tour is private and on request.
- Duration of the tour about 3 hours.
- Visit the marble quarries by stopping in safe places to see the quarries in full activity.
- You will learn about the geology and the history of marble extraction and transportation, the stories of the quarry-men and the geology of the area.
- Choose to complete the tour by visiting the underground quarry, a sculpture workshops, Carrara town center or Colonnata home of the famous lard.
- Stopping at panoramic points to take unforgettable pictures.
- Free time for a possible visit to the marble souvenir shops.
In order to make the excursion a full day experience, you can choose to adding one/two of these experiences:
- Visit the town of Colonnata with a tasting of its famous Lardo.
- Visit a sculpture studio (in working days) to see the marble craftsmen at work and learn techniques and tools used to sculpt marble.
- Visit the historic center of Carrara, the city of marble. During the guided tour you will realize how many things have been done with local marble, a stone suitable for construction and sculpture.
The world of Carrara marble does not end in the quarries, it starts right there indeed!
The half day (3 hrs itinerary) starts by meeting with the tour guide in Carrara and departure for the marble quarries of the Fantiscritti basin, stopping at scenic places where you can take unforgettable pictures and learn about the geological origin of the marble.
Visit of an open-air marble quarry where, from in full safety in a panoramic place, the ancient and modern methods for extracting marble will be explained.
Free time for any use of the bathrooms and visit the souvenir shops of marble.
The 3 hours half day itinerary can be completed by adding one of these experiences
1) Keep visiting the marble quarries by entering the amazing underground marble quarry. It is a “cathedral of marble in the hearth of the mountains, really impressive!
2) Lovers of typical foods will be able to complete the tour by visiting the village of Colonnata, the oldest village of quarry men located on a spur of rock about 500 meters high. The town of Roman origin is characterized by many small houses still built in marble, with the presence of numerous larderie where the famous lard of Colonnata is produced according to tradition. Do not miss a visit to the church of medieval origin in front of which is the impressive monument to the Cavatore where the story of this unique people is told. At the end of the visit, a tasting of Lardo di Colonnata will be offered.
3) For those interested in art, the visit to a sculpture workshop is a must. Do not forget that Carrara has been included by UNESCO in the list of creative cities for marble craftsmanship. Seeing the sculptors at work helps to understand the tools and techniques used for the realization of the great masterpieces in marble and the sculptors will explain the secrets and the different methods of sculpture. Want to try yourself sculpting marble? Wanna be Michelangelo for 3 hours? Join our sculpting classes!!!
4) For those more interested in history, Carrara is the ideal choice. A visit to the historic center will take you through the medieval Carrara that culminates with its 11th-14th-century marble Cathedral; to then pass through Piazza Alberica, the pulsating heart of the Renaissance Carrara; to finish visiting the nineteenth-century Carrara, wanted beautiful and elegant by the great marble families of that time.
5) If you wanted, as we hope, to spend the whole day in Carrara we will design a full day tailor made program by matching the marble quarries, the sculpture workshops, Carrara, Colonnata the home of lard.